Saturday, September 21, 2013

Liver and Onions The Way My Mama Taught Me

 Do you have a favorite childhood meal that you fix for yourself just so you can 
reminisce?
I have one.
Liver and Onions
 It is very hard to find liver and onions the way mom used to make it.
So, since I was home alone this weekend I made it for myself.
I know some of you are saying, "GROSS!"
But just think of all the iron this meat entails.
 Now to really gross you out, here is the liver in the raw.....
And this is not beef liver it's buffalo liver.
Better for you, yeah?
Straight from grass fed buffalo.
Yes, a private ranch. 
Can't get any fresher than that.
 This is what my mama taught me.....
Dredge the liver slices in flour seasoned with garlic powder and fresh pepper.
Brown them really good.
I use olive oil.
I do mine in an electric skillet on about 325 degrees.
 After the slices are browned (I had about 8) don't clean the skillet.
You want to keep all those brown yummy pieces.
Place your liver back into the skillet, slice one whole sweet onion.
Place your onion slices on top of the liver.
Using 4 cups of water and two TBS of Worcestershire sauce,
pour it over everything.
Turn the skillet heat down to about 250 and simmer with lid on until
liver is fork tender. 
Mine took about an hour and a half. 
 I made red skinned mashed potatoes,
and spiked up Caesar salad.
When I say spiked up I mean, a Dole salad kit that I added a couple
handfuls of spinach to.
Talk about an iron fortified meal. 
I should be set on iron for about a month.......
If you look closely at the gravy you can see all those yummy
bottom of the skillet chunks.
Cooking the liver this way, it makes its own gravy.
There is no recipe required for this dish.
And you can use beef liver in place of the buffalo liver I used.
Just follow the steps I gave you and you will be fine.
Give it a try!
You never know, you may just become a liver lover.

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Looks very tasty...really it does. We love liver and onions...its one of hubs favorite meals But because of dietary restrictions we no longer enjoy it. :-( I love the addition of worcestershire sauce...and simmering it a long time is a key too. Glad you got to make it home...
    take good care Friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad loved liver and onions. I remember my mom cooking it for him when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is because of my dad (passed in 1986) that I love liver and onions. He taught me well. Now if only I could get my kids to eat it and like it.....Believe me, I have tried!!

      Delete
  3. I don't understand why you took the liver out of the pan and then put it back in pan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have room in the skillet for all of the liver. So I removed what I had browned so I could brown more. I placed all of the liver back into the skillet to simmer. Sorry for the confusion.

      Delete
    2. had the same question. thanks. this recipe sounds perfect <3

      Delete
  4. Tried this recipe once before making it again tonight. My husband loves it and this is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me know how much you like it. I was raised on liver and onions and still love it to this day.

      Delete
  5. The way my grandma made it, delish!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)