Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Recipe Survival

 How do you survive 10 days away from home?
Let me introduce you to my dear friend Lynda.
Oh and, my sweet companion Marleigh.
Lynda is diabetic and totally blind, my best friend, 
and yes, if we go back many years, a first apartment roommate.
Two weeks ago Lynda had to have a full knee replacement.
And she had to find a caretaker for sweet Marleigh.
Of course, since Marleigh drowns me in kisses and hugs, 
I was the first to step forward.
Which this meant living at Lynda's house for about 10 days.
So, how does a foodie survive in a stranger's house?
I found out that I can live out of a laundry basket,
live without a coffee maker 
(Yes, I drove to McDonald's every morning for coffee),
and painfully survived without my desktop 
(most I've used my laptop, ever).
But the real question is: How does a foodie survive in someone else's kitchen?
Now that was a tough one.
Looking for something sweet within those 10 days....
I ran across a package of Martha White double chocolate muffin mix.
JUST ADD MILK!
Quick fix, and I would be satisfied with a baked treat.
But I was faced with another dilemma.....
Lynda is not a milk drinker.
No milk!
Nadda!
Nothing!
So, I had to think like I was surviving in the wild.
Coffee Mate, meet Martha White.
AND IT WORKED!
Within 20 minutes I was enjoying a baked sweet treat.
Sprinkled a few M&M's on top, and produced pure satisfaction.
And that's how a foodie survives outside their comfort zone for 10 days.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. haha I have used liquid creamor in baking before, works great and adds a richness I think. Good move and kudos to you for helping your friend. People are too busy these days and don't stop to help. Glad you did. I'm sure it was rewarding for you both and a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very rewarding. Had a few problems with Marleigh, but nothing too serious. It's funny how dogs react when their owner is not there. She refused to eat for a few days and dropped a few pounds, but like I said, nothing serious. And my comfort was just not the same as her master.

      Delete
  2. I bet the coffee matte in these cupcakes tasted good... Good thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For health reasons, I have used Coffee Mate (Original flavor-sugar free) for all my milk needs for several years. It works, use it anywhere you would use milk. And the plain is not sweet, so tastes ok if you want to drink it. Comes in a half gallon size at Wal-Mart. It even makes white cream gravy!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)