Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Recipe for Wilted Spinach

 Greens!
Is there anything better?
For some reason when I eat green leafy vegetables
I feel so satisfied,
complete,
full,
and just feel really good about myself after eating them.

I wonder if it's because they are packed full of so many
vitamins and minerals?
Heart healthy maybe?
Or what about the cancer fighting ingredients they carry?
This wilted spinach recipe was over the top amazing.
I will be making this over and over to place the 
perfect/healthy/vitamin packed side on my meal table.
And I even got the "You know I don't like spinach" person
to try it. And he liked it! Imagine that.....
There is a huge difference between wilted spinach and cooked spinach.
Wilted spinach stays more in a solid form and doesn't 
feel like mush in your mouth.
If I could have had my way.....I would have ate the whole pound myself.
This recipe came from Betty Crocker, Country Favorites Cookbook,
page 223.
I made some changes of my own like, increased the bacon amount,
and increased the garlic amount.
Got to have flavor in greens.
My theory anyway.....
Wilted Spinach

1 medium onion, chopped
2 slices bacon, cut up into pieces
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I used a garlic slicer)
2 TBS butter
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 pound baby spinach leaves
Juice of 1/2 medium lemon

Cook and stir onion, bacon, and garlic in butter and oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until bacon is crisp and onion starts to brown. Reduce heat, stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Remove from heat and stir in spinach. Stir just until wilted. Drizzle with lemon juice. 
Serve hot.
Photobucket
This recipe is linked to:
Miz Helen's Country Cottage ~ Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friends Friday

5 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! I have some spinach that needs to be eaten...had some in my morning smoothie...and do believe I'll fix this for myself for dinner. Thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this tonight Ang and loved it! I made half a batch and ate it all myself. Perfect! So glad you shared as I had some fresh spinach that needed to be eaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked it. I like wilted spinach so much better than cooked spinach. It still has a little crunch when it's wilted. Thank you for letting me know you tried it.

      Delete
  3. We just love Wilted Green and this recipe is awesome, we will really enjoy it. Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your tasty recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. We LOVE wilted greens! Sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)