Friday, April 6, 2012

Not Really A Hassle: Hasselback Potatoes

I have seen these flying through Pinterest, and I knew that I had to give them a try. And there is even a little bit of history behind them.....
Are you ready history buffs?
These potatoes were first introduced in the 1700's by a restaurant located in Stockholm named Hassebacken.
Pretty cool, huh?

But the important thing....Do they taste good?

They taste great, and they are the perfect side for any meal. You can stuff just about anything down in those cracks, slices, crevasses, or whatever you want to call them.

I chose to place garlic slices down in there.....and a very special person gave me this awesome garlic slicer for Christmas.

I topped mine with sea salt and lavender pepper.
Awesomeness right there on my plate. I also used the red potatoes which are better for you than white.

Hasselback Potatoes

6 red potatoes (medium size)
Garlic cloves sliced (I think I used a half of a head of garlic)
Olive oil for drizzling
Melted butter for drizzling
Sea Salt
Fresh ground pepper (I used lavender pepper)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Put the potatoes on a cutting board with flattest side down. Start from one end of the potato, cut almost all the way through (make sure not to slice all the way through).
Arrange the potatoes on a baking sheet with sides. Insert garlic slices in between the slits. Drizzle butter over the tops, letting it run down in between the slits. Drizzle with a little olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
Bake for about 40 - 45 minutes, or until potatoes turn crispy and the flesh is soft.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I make these when I go camping! They're amazing... silly me though, I never thought to make them in the oven! Thanks for another awesome idea my friend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made these before and just LOVE them. Especially red taters! Simple and delicious - my style of cooking. Where in the world do you find lavender pepper? We eat lots more pepper than we do salt, and I'd love to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the pepper at Trader Joes when I was in Arizona the last time. I love this pepper and since I only have one container (didn't know if I'd like when I bought it) I only use for special things. Like these potatoes. I'd really like to see a Trader Joes come to our area. I would be there all the time....

      Delete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)