Wednesday, March 28, 2012

OH The Love of a German Chocolate Cake.....German Chocolate Bars

I don't know what cake mix company invented this recipe....

BUT

I am totally in love!!

A friend of mine requested a German Chocolate Cake.....I cringed at the request because I am not good at layered cakes, frosting, and all the talent it takes to create beauty in a cake.

So you know me, I went in search of something simple, but with the same flavors, and of course I had to use my own personal touch.....

Have you ever used this product? Liquid caramel in a bottle!! Now that really makes things simple (and yummy!).

My daughter mixes this in with her chocolate milk. I haven't tried it yet myself, but I'm sure it's good.

I used that liquid caramel to drizzle over the German Chocolate Bars.

If you ever feel the urge of a sinful treat coming on, you have got to make these bars. And if you eat them just barely warm.....oh my goodness!!! And that's all I have to say.....

This recipe is linked to:
http://eatathomecooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ingredient-spotlight-button1253.jpg

AND:

German Chocolate Bars

1 box German chocolate cake mix
1 c. butter, melted and divided
3 large eggs, divided
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, soft
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 - 16 oz. box confectioners sugar
1 c. sweetened flaked coconut (a little extra for top)
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans (a little extra for top)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13x9 glass baking pan with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, 1/2 c. melted butter and 1 egg. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer until combined. Press into bottom of prepared pan, and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in remaining 2 eggs and vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until smooth. Add remaining 1/2 c. melted butter, beating at low speed until combined. Stir i coconut and pecans. Pour evenly over cake mix layer. Sprinkle top lightly with chopped pecans and coconut. Bake for 45 minutes (mine was less), or until center is slightly set. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Drizzle with Hersey's caramel ice cream topper before serving.

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! My husband and oldest son would love those. They have a major thing for German Chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister I am soooo making these... they sound awesome... I made in February a Homemade from scratch German Chocolate cake (the recipe off the Bakers German chocolate) and let me tell you...it was a labor of love... I doubled the frosting and that alone was a pain in the neck... I was thinking NEVER in the next century am I making German chocolate anything... but I will eat my words with this... thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my lands! And WOWEEEEEEEEEEE too! Your photos always make everything look sooo tasty! The best part of German Choc cake is the amazing frosting. Love adding the drizzle too. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look incredibly sinful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog. It's simple and elegant. Just plain and simple but says a lot. Great cake recipe! I love chocolates and I'm really ecstatic everytime I see one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words. Comments like really touch my heart and lets me know that I'm moving in the right direction. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)