Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Why Is It Brown? Apple Salad

I love apple salad, but I wanted to do something different to satisfy my craving.

I turned this one into a jell-0 salad.

And why is it brown, you ask?

Because I went to the frig to get my jar of applesauce and I was about 2 ounces short.

And without panic, I looked through my pantry, and my frig to see if I had something to substitute for the missing 2 ounces of applesauce.

What do you think I found?

Yup, apple butter......

Hey, don't judge.....it worked.

I like apple salad because usually it has crispy chunks of celery along with the apple.

This salad went together pretty easy.

And it is so pretty when it's done.

I think so anyway.

The topping is my own creation.

Okay, I'll tell you the truth.....My refrigerator needed cleaning out. I had partial containers of cream cheese, sour cream, and ricotta.

Ha! It all went on top of my jell-o.

Autumn Apple Jell-O Salad

20 oz. applesauce (I won't put in the apple butter, because it's not suppose to be there)
1 pkg (3 oz.) pineapple jell-o
1 pkg (8 oz.) cream cheese, soft
1 c. diced unpeeled apples (I used honey crisp)
1 c. chopped celery
1/2 - 1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. mini marshmallows

Place the applesauce in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil (be careful with applesauce, it pops all over). Boil for 3 minutes, and add jell-o. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and add cream cheese. Stir until melted and combined. Cool. Fold in apples, nuts, celery, and marshmallows. Pour into a 9 inch square pan. Chill until firm (overnight).

Topping:

1/2 c. sour cream
1/3 c. ricotta cheese
1 tub cream cheese (spreadable)
2 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp. lemon peel (McCormick's)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Place all ingredients in a stand mixer and mix until smooth. Spread on top of chilled jell-o salad.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. What a unique recipe. I have never heard/seen anything like this before and now I definitely want to give it a try!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)