Monday, September 19, 2011

What Do You Do With Acorn Squash? Acorn Squash/Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups

I thought I would get this out to you ASAP.....

This is the most delicious lasagna roll-up I have ever had.

And they are beautiful!!

I almost hated to eat them......Just Kidding!!

They are so beautiful, I felt the need to take many pictures....

Good shot...

Better shot.....

Best shot!!

Okay, enough time spent on viewing the gorgeous pictures. Let's now get down to business and find out how to make these eye-candy roll-ups.....

I microwaved my acorn squash. Yup, place it in covered dish and microwave it for 13 minutes. That's it, 13 minutes....

I scooped out the squash and mixed it with crushed garlic, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and chopped fresh spinach.

This is going to be the insides (guts) of the roll-ups.

I cooked the lasagna noodles.

Does anyone else say lasagna the way it's spelled, just so you remember how to spell it?

Good, I thought I was the only one that did that....

I ran the noodles under cold water to stop the cooking process, and to cool them down so I could work with them.

I used my hands to spread the guts on the lasagna noodles. I scooped up a good amount on my fingertips and spread it on.

Then I started at one end and began rolling loosely....That sounds like a song title!

I found some really good Monterey Jack cheese (which I was going to use for something else) to shred on top.

I ended up with an even amount of 12 rolls.

I put them in a 9x13 baking dish.

I did have left-over lasagna noodles, but I have decided that I will make them into a lasagna soup. MMMM!!! Doesn't that sound good?

I made a Parmesan white sauce to pour over the top of the roll-ups. And talk about rich....Oh my word!! Scrumptious-ness in a pan.

Then I shredded a whole cups worth of Monterey Jack cheese for on top.

This is what it looked like when it came out of the oven.

Now do you see why I had a hard time eating them? Just gorgeous!!

This recipe is linked to:


AND:




Squash/Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups

12 lasagna noodles
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. plus 2 TBS all-purpose flour
2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese (I used a mixture of Parmesan and Romano)
2 c. cooked acorn squash (I used 1 1/2 med. acorn squash)
1 - 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
2 c. chopped fresh spinach
salt, pepper, and white pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, crushed
olive oil
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Boil pasta according to package directions, and rinse with cold water. Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour; continue stirring and add milk. When sauce thickens, stir in 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese. Season to taste and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine 1 c. Parmesan cheese, cooked acorn squash, ricotta, spinach, salt, both peppers, and garlic. Lightly oil a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil. Apply the spinach mixture to each lasagna noodle and roll. Cover rolls with white sauce and top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Bake for 35 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.


"He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season....."
Psalm 1:3

As I was sitting on my back deck the other day, I was admiring the big (huge) maple tree that grows just a few feet away. It also made me question my faith. Yes, a tree influenced me. How do I be a good Christian? I try hard, but sometimes I feel like I am weak in some areas. How do I truly live like a Christian?
I asked myself this, "How well do I know the Lord?", "How much do I enjoy reading his word and then spend time talking with Him?" You know, it's not the time I spend reading His word that is important, it's the time I spend enjoying the presence of God that strengthens me (like enjoying the beauty of the tree).
I looked at the tree again. What does this tree remind me of? What are the qualities of this tree?
The first things that came to mind is its strength and beauty.
Strength and beauty are what we want in our lives, correct?
Where does this tree get its strength and beauty?
Duh, from the roots....
Which, the roots cannot be seen. The roots are the hidden part of life, and they are the secret to beauty and strength.
That is exactly what this Psalm verse is saying. Those who are Christians have learned, in their hidden roots, to draw upon the grace, glory, and strength of God. Their roots run deep, and this is what makes them beautiful and strong. "He yields its fruit in season." A true reference to the fruit of the Spirit.

Do we all have our roots nurtured in Christ's quality?


Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Those look great! I've only made one "recipe" with acorn squash. I usually just eat it plain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious!!! I have actually never cooked with acorn squash! I will have to try these when I'm feeling creative in the kitchen. You know I'm a baker and not a cook! But oh man....these look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm M-M-M-M-M-Melting! These look more than wonderful! Where did you get the recipe? I would not ever think to mix squash with the other ingredients...LOVE the sauce too. OH my! I'm 'pinning' this one now and will make soon. Thanks for sharing -

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was an American Profile recipe for stuffed shells. I turned it into roll-ups. The only part of the recipe that I used was the Parmesan sauce (oh, and the idea of mixing acorn squash with ricotta cheese), but everything else I put together myself. The guts for this recipe is my own creation. I thought for sure everything would ooze out of my lasagna noodles, but was truly surprised when everything stayed together. This is one that I will definitely make over and over. And I like the thought of them being meatless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That looks good enough to eat! I'll be sure and pass your recipe on to the Mrs. :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)