Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What Do You Think?: Scrapple

Have you ever had Scrapple? This is one of my favorite breakfast meats.

In my area, this is found in Amish country. And as you can see, it is very inexpensive.

Scrapple is made of pork broth, pork, pork skins, pork livers, whole wheat flour, and corn meal, and then shaped into a brick.

I like to slice mine fairly thin.


I place it in a hot skillet with a little olive oil. Make sure the squares of Scrapple are not touching each other. If they touch, they will stick together. I fry it until it is crispy. Kind of like crispy bacon.

Serve it with pancakes, and it is the perfect breakfast meat.

Totally yummy!!

"O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek You;
my soul thirsts for You,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
I have seen You in the sanctuary
and beheld Your power and Your glory.
Because Your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify You.
I will praise You as long as I live,
and in Your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise You."
Psalm 63:1-5

Concealing from his enemies in the barren Desert of Judah, David was vivid in his loneliness. He longed for a friend he could trust to ease his lonely feeling. It is no wonder David cried out, "O God....my soul thirsts for you....in a dry and weary land." When you are lonely or thirsty for something lasting in your life, remember David's prayer. God alone can satisfy our deepest longings and lonely feelings.

6 comments:

  1. I love it when you do product reviews! Thanks -don't think I've ever seen scrapple, but now I know! Your inspirational thoughts are very stirring. SO happy you shared this post...and the scripture too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,
    Thanks for following my candle website. It is great to come and see your blog.

    Scrapple...my parents ate it while I was growing up but I only tasted and rejected it....

    We are in Lancaster County so it is readily available...........are you here too?

    Your baked goods look amazing. My daughter Chelsea loves to bake too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of this, however I have never tasted it. Is it sweet or spicy? Does it have a "bacon" flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky~ You do beautiful work. I love the different looking bowls, glasses, and vases that you find.
    I am in Northwest Ohio, but doesn't take long to get to Amish country from where I live. I am about an hour and a half away from Shipshewana, Indiana (Lagrange County). Thank you for the complements.

    Lark~ Scrapple is very hard to describe. I like to fry it till it's crispy. It is kind of like a sweet bacon flavor. Some people slice it thick and make sandwiches with it, but when it's sliced thick it is kind of left with a mushy texture (which I don't like). When it's fried crispy, it's more like bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make it to Amish Country a lot, right Marsha? You will have to pick up some scrapple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I may ass to this....

    Some people have the same issue wit scrapple as they do with other Conglomerated Products and its the idea of what it MIGHT be instead of what it is. If you've ever had Braunsweiger or Patte, its about the same thing, only made from pig.

    I was first exposed to this in NC (around there they call it Liver Mush) back in the 90's and its not something I make a regular stop for, however, its one of those items that once every so often, I just have to get.

    Pan fried in butter, on a left over biscuit with honey, mustard, or grape jelly.....Mmmmmm.

    It's good hangover food. too!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)