Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fear: Rhubarb Custard Pie

I DID IT!!


Do you see what is in those two pictures up there?

Yup, it's rhubarb custard pie.

I have not attempted to make a rhubarb pie since I was in my mid 20's; I am now 43.

Yes, my experience in my mid 20's has scared me for that long. Just thinking about it makes me shake....


There is a rhubarb patch that grows at the back of my property line. And it is right on the line. I feel that the patch of rhubarb could belong to either me or my neighbor, but to keep things right, I only use what's on my side.

Wouldn't you do the same thing?

I thought so....

I gathered enough rhubarb (on my side) to make a rhubarb custard pie.

I am looking fear straight in the face while I am preparing this pie, and shaking the whole time.

I even made my own pie crust.

I'm not happy with the recipe (it's not sweet enough) and will be looking for another one, but I am just glad to be boxing out my fear.

I did find out that rhubarb cooks down....

I will have to make adjustments to the filling when I make this again.

Did you notice how I said again? I am not afraid anymore.

Now, to tell you why I fear rhubarb custard pie....

When I was in my mid 20's, I wanted to surprise my boyfriend, at the time, with rhubarb custard pie, and I wanted to show him that he really picked a winner when it comes to kitchens and foods (you know how the dating scene is, you have to impress, right?)

I put together my pies, placed them in the oven, set the timer, and went to relax in front of the TV.
The next thing I knew the whole entire house was filled with black smoke. Yes, the pies ran over in the oven.
I didn't know what to do, so I shut off the oven, pulled the partially baked pies out of the oven, while the black smoke kept getting thicker....
I ran to the front door, opened it, ran to the back door, opened it, and all the while fighting the urge to call the fire department.
I WAS SCARED THAT BAD.

Now 20 years later, I have decided to face that fear and knock it out for good (I placed a cookie sheet under the pie...).

I am one to give words of wisdom when it comes to fear.

"If you let fear win, you will struggle to achieve."
"Fear will be strong if you allow it to be."
And the famous "NO FEAR"

But do I take my own advice? Sure I do. 20 years later....

Rhubarb Custard Pie

1 (9 inch) pie shell
2 c. chopped rhubarb
1 c. white sugar
2 TBS all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
4 tsp. milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread rhubarb evenly across unbaked pasty shell.
In a medium bowl combine sugar, flour, and nutmeg. Mix well, then add eggs and milk. Beat until smooth and pour over rhubarb.
Cover edges of pie shell with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning (I didn't use foil and didn't have any problems with the crust getting too brown).
Bake in oven for 55 minutes.

"No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them."
Joshua 1:5-6

Every new situation can be a challenge. Without God it can be frightening. With God it can be a great adventure. He is with us as we face our new challenges. We may not conquer nations, but every day we face tough situations, fears, difficult people, and temptations. God promises that He will never abandon us or fail to help us. By asking God to direct us we can conquer many of life's challenges. Just don't wait 20 years to ask for help.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)