Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Kiwi? Resolutions? & Homemade Tomato Basil Soup

When it's cold outside, do you have favorite comfort foods that you turn to to warm yourself up?

Home-made tomato soup, or any kind of soup is my warming comfort.

Is there anything better than warm tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich? Oh my, I think not.

Before I go any further I need to have a question answered.

How do you eat a kiwi?

Do you peel it and slice it? Or do you cut it in half and eat it with a spoon?

I cut mine in half and eat it with a spoon. I don't like all the fuzzy gunk from the skins to get on my kiwi.

When they are eaten with a spoon the fuzzy gunk is avoided. Perfect kiwi snack.

Which leads me to resolutions.

How many of you make new year resolutions and are faithful to them?

I have never kept a resolution in my life. Yeah, I make them (in my head), write them down (sometimes), but forget about them by March.

Well this year I think is going to be different. Did you see the key word there? THINK

My resolution is going to focus on ME and the #1.
I am kind of feeling like the Sesame Street Count right now.

"Hello, I am Count Van Count, and I am here to find out the number of the day. Ha, Ha, Ha."

"The number of the day is 1. Ha, Ha, Ha. And here to celebrate is 1 dancing elephant. Ha, Ha, Ha. The number of the day is 1."

And 1 dancing elephant is correct. I am the elephant (I feel like it anyway).

My resolution:

1 person (me)

1 serving

1 exercise every day, 1 hour a day

1 - 9 oz. water drank every two hours

1 freshness (which means, first picking, fresh produce, fruits and vegetables are going to be my #1 choice)

Since 2011 consists of 1's, my number choice is 1. Lose 1 pound per day until I lose 30 pounds.

You will see a change in my blog items. Salads, soups, fresh, fresh, fresh foods. I hope I don't bore you with my change, and I will need your help to keep me remaining focused. I don't want to forget about this resolution come March.

This tomato soup is just a little different than the normal tomato soup in a can. Which I think Progresso makes the best tomato soup. Better than Campbell's even.

This tomato soup has chicken in it.

After the liquids and spices have simmered for 10 minutes they are poured into a blender and pureed. The soup is then returned to the dutch oven, and the cream and chicken are added to it. Heat and serve (with grilled cheese, of course).

Basil added to tomato soup is absolutely sinful. If you make this soup, you will know exactly what I am talking about. This soup is also very filling and satisfies the largest of appetites.

Home-Made Tomato Basil Soup

1 TBS olive oil
1 carrot, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
28 oz. V-8 juice (can use low sodium)
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 c. heavy cream
1 tsp kosher salt
2 c. shredded cooked chicken

In a dutch oven over medium/high heat, combine olive oil, carrot, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion is soft, 6 - 8 minutes. Stir in flour until vegetables are coated, then add tomato juice. Add broth and 2 tsp dried basil. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 8 - 10 minutes.
Working in small batches, puree soup in a blender or food processor and then transfer back to dutch oven. Stir in cream, salt, and chicken. Heat through. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.

Makes 5 cups
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes

Quick meal to the table....

Good Luck~Happy Eating~Enjoy

"Believe in the Lord your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper." 2 Chr. 20:20


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)