Friday, December 3, 2010

The Heartbreak & Oatmeal Caramel/Cinnamon Cookies

I am having a hard time celebrating this recipe.

It is a great cookie and a wonderful coffee dunker, but the purpose of these cookies brings heartache.

You will see why further down in my post.

During the holidays my mood changes to "give", "give", "give" (especially the month of Remember/December). And my mood change shouldn't be based around the holidays, but it's the time of year when people (me) focus more on the less fortunate.

Toys for TOTS, Food pantries, and people suffering with illnesses.

I am having my own struggles this year, but I know there are others that are struggling more.

These cookies are the perfect coffee dunker. Believe me, I know. I have the floaties in my coffee to prove it.

They have a little crunch on the outside, but are really chewy on the inside. My opinion, THE PERFECT OATMEAL COOKIE.

I found a recipe labeled "Blue Ribbon Oatmeal Cookies", and decided to add my own two cents...

I read somewhere (and at my age it is hard to remember where) that a cookie made with Crisco will end up crunchy. A cookie made with butter will be soft.

So why not combine the two? Is there such a thing as a soft crunchy cookie?

Yup, there sure is, and this is the one.

My daughter informed me, before the cookies were baked, that this cookie is going to be good.

I asked her, "How can you tell?"

She said, "Because the dough tastes good."

Now why didn't I think of that? Taste-test the dough before they are baked. I learn something new every day.

These cookies also accommodate a glass of milk very well too.

Take a bite of cookie and quickly drink milk, swish the milk around while you are chewing, and you have the perfect oatmeal goodness without the bowl.

It saddens (heartbreak) me to know that there are going to be three little boys that won't be eating the Christmas cookies or celebrating the holidays this year.

I understand that there are children abducted everywhere in the world, but these three little boys are local.

Right out my back door. Why does this have to happen?

These three little boys are Andrew (9), Alexander (7), and Tanner (5) Skelton. They have been missing since Thanksgiving.

Why are they missing? A custody battle between the parents. The father was the last one to have them, who is now in police custody.

Why is it the children are always the ones to be hurt in adult situations?

I faced a custody battle of my own also, but children need stability, they need to be protected, they need to know that their idols (parents) will always be there.

The sad situation with the Skelton children, the dedicated searchers, and the faithfulness of law enforcement has lead me to this:

This box of cookies is going to be delivered to the base-grounds of the searchers.

I may not be saving the lives of the missing boys, but I am giving strength to those that are working hard to find them.

Oatmeal Caramel/Cinnamon Cookies

1/4 c. Crisco
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 c. rolled oats (old fashioned, uncooked)
1 c. caramel chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Beat together Crisco, butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; mix well. Stir in oats, and caramel chips; mix well. Drop by rounded TBS onto cookie sheet. Bake 10 - 12 minutes (mine took 15) or until golden brown. Cool 3 minutes on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.

Makes: about 4 dozen

"The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion." Prov. 28:1

Good Luck~Happy Eating~Enjoy


7 comments:

  1. Angie, what a caring person you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my..I almost started crying- been a mother of three kids. I would be lost without my own.
    I heard about those three little angles on the photos over the news.I hope and pray that they will be found! You are so sweet for offering those cookies for people who are looking for them! Bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a sad situation. Visiting the fire department today, I could feel the sadness. The fire department was packed with volunteers (standing room only). I just wish the father of those sweet boys would come clean (tell someone where they are!!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie, you are such a great person. I will keep those little boys in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet (pun intended=) gal you are...so thoughtful to make cookies for the searchers. Bless you for doing that - I'm sure God will see to it that you get a special blessing for your giving heart. Can't wait to try these cookies - I'm a cookie coffee dunker too. MMMM! Thanks for sharing this recipe - and for being you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any news on what happened to the little boys?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as I know, they have not been found yet.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)