Monday, November 29, 2010

I Have Seen The Lite/Light: Black-eyed Pea Tuna Salad

After being stuffed with great Thanksgiving foods, why does it take the painful misery of not being able to button the pants and, "Man, it hurts to breathe" to see the lite/light?

My stuffed misery has lead me to, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH".

I found this recipe at Jacob's Kitchen, but after reviewing it I wanted to satisfy my own taste buds. Don't get me wrong, Jacob's recipe sounds wonderful and looks very appetizing, but my choice of bean is different. I would like to thank Jacob for his inspiration.


Here is someone else that is trying to see the lite/light (roasted nuts).

If he's not careful he won't see his next meal. He won't have to worry about the over-stuffing feeling...

Isn't it funny how some things (ordinary things) just strike your funny-bone unexpectedly?

I stepped outside yesterday and noticed this squirrel all the way at the top of an electric pole, just sitting there. What I would like to know, "How did he get his nuts all the way up there?"


I pulled my ingredients and sat them all out on the counter.

My thoughts are forcefully focused on the LITE pleasing lunch that I am about to prepare, but when I hear the word lite in my head (believe me, sometimes I don't want to acknowledge my thoughts) it moves more toward the word LIGHT.

I was raised in a religious home and felt all of the comfortability a child is suppose to feel, but as I enter my life as an adult, boy how that quickly changes. "I want my comfortability back." Am I allowed to throw a fit at the age of 42?

1985 is where it all began...

My oldest daughter was born (a light).
I was happily married (a light)
My son was born (a light)
My daughter was born (a light)
A wonderful person has entered my life: Sydney (a light)
My oldest daughter was married (a light)
My grandson was born (a light)
My granddaughter was born (a light)

The dimming lite I encountered....

The death of my father (a lite)
Mental, verbal, physical abuse (a lite)
Divorce (a lite)
Doubting God (a lite)
Custody battle (a lite)
Injured grandson (a lite)
Loss of job (a lite)

It is now coming back on in 2010....

Religion (a light)
Great, awesome, priceless relationship (a light)
Schooling (a light)
Successful adult children (a light)

I have been on an endless roller coaster with my hills, curves, and speed being out of control. It is time to bring that roller coaster to stop. The ride is over.

It looks like my LIGHTS out-weigh my LITES by a landslide....I think I am finally on the right ride.

The lite/light in this salad was very satisfying (tasty and inspiring), and I am still celebrating Thanksgiving. Thank you salad for helping me see the lite/light.

Even though I have found the light again in my life, I couldn't help myself to be taunting, and finger pointing with the two school students that were working on homework. "HA, HA, HA, you have schoolwork and I don't."

Believe me, I am enjoying my break. I know it won't be long and I will be stuck behind that desk again, but for now, I am determined to keep focusing on that LIGHT (with a little devil thrown in. Sorry Sean and Lisa).

I cut my tomato bread slices in quarters and placed the Bean Tuna Salad on top. Kind of like an appetizer.

I took a look at the calorie facts on the beans and tuna. Is this creation really lite?

Black-eyed Peas - Serving size 1/2 cup. - 75 calories
Tuna - Serving size 2 ounces - 60 calories

Not too bad...

Black-eyed peas are a stronger flavored bean than white beans. I think the bean and tuna flavors accented each other nicely.

This is what I did:

Black-eyed Pea Tuna Salad

1/2 c. minced sweet onion
splash of lemon juice
3 (5-6 oz. cans) albacore tuna in water, drained
2 (15 oz. cans) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
A few splashes of Tabasco sauce
Freshly ground black pepper, about a 1/2 tsp. (I like more)
Salt to taste
A drizzle of olive oil

In a small bowl, sprinkle the lemon juice over the minced onion while you prepare the other ingredients. The lemon juice will take away the oniony edge.

Drain the tuna and place into a large bowl. Add the black-eyed peas and gently stir. Add onions, black pepper, salt, and Tabasco sauce. Drizzle with olive oil to add the moisture consistency that you prefer.

Serve on crackers, toasted bread, or be creative.
I can picture this salad placed on sliced tomatoes, stuffed inside a half of yellow or green pepper, or along-side a lettuce salad. Many options with this recipe. And LITE it is....

Good Luck~Happy Eating~Enjoy

"If thou hast done foolishly in lifting up thyself, or if thou hast thought evil, lay thine hand upon thy mouth." Prov. 30:32

3 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds great! I love any tuna salad and your look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how interesting - I never thought to put black eyed peas in tuna salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm - what a creative combo! Loved reading your thoughts too - you are beautiful, inside & out! Thanks for sharing your heart...and your recipes as well. =)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)