Friday, November 12, 2010

I DON'T DO BREAKFAST: Banana/Berry Smoothie

One meal that I continuously fight with everyday is breakfast.

I am not a breakfast eater, but after researching why breakfast is important, I may have a change of heart.


Why is breakfast important?

Not many people realize it (I am one of them), but eating breakfast is the secret to staying healthy.
Eating a good breakfast sets the tone for the rest of your day.

What are the benefits?

It jump-starts your metabolism from the overnight slumber of not eating. Breakfast replenishes your supply of glucose. Glucose is your body's energy source. In the morning, after you have gone without food for as long as 12 hours, your glucose levels drop. When this happens, your body compensates by releasing the glucose that has been stored in your muscle tissue and liver, called glycogen. Once all the energy from the glycogen stored is used up, the body breaks down fatty acids to produce energy. Without carbohydrates, fatty acids are only partially oxidized, which can cause reduced energy levels (tiredness).

Did you know that breakfast will aid in weight loss?

Eating a healthy breakfast will increase your fat burning ability. It will give you energy and start your metabolism at the beginning of each day.
It also gives you brain fuel, by improving your thinking ability.
Breakfast will also help you beat the binges. It will help you by aiding in the over-eating later in the day. Usually when someone skips breakfast, they overeat later in the day. And that is exactly what I do. When dinner time rolls around I am starving and I overeat. Looks like I need to make some serious changes.


I think I have finally found my solution, thanks to the help of my Facebook fans.

I entered the question: I have five very ripe bananas on my counter. Does anyone have any suggestions other than banana bread, cake, or muffins?

I got some very good responses, and the one that caught my attention was given by Judith Harrison, banana smoothie.

Thank you Judith, you have just directed me on the right path to solving my breakfast dilemma.

Breakfast smoothies!!
So, I went in search of recipes for smoothies.

I reviewed a bunch of recipes and put together a concoction of my own.

And I will say, it turned out very good. I think I could drink this every morning.

As you can see, the recipe that I came up with makes enough for three people.

And I had everything on hand....That is always a good thing.

Banana/Berry Smoothie

2 c. frozen mixed fruit
1 c. yogurt of your choice (I used cherry cobbler and blueberry pie)
1 c. milk
3/4 c. orange juice
2 ripe bananas
1 1/2 TBS wheat germ

Place all ingredients in blender and blend.

Breakfast is served!!

I drank, I have started my metabolism for the day, I can think clearly, and I won't be overeating later.

Move over coffee, the smoothie is taking over.

Good Luck~Happy Eating~Enjoy (I did!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)