Sunday, November 28, 2010

And I Thought Halloween Was Over

Thanksgiving is over and the left-overs have been successfully packed away, and I mean packed.

Mine are packed so tight in the refrigerator that every time I open the door I yell, "There is something wrong with the refrigerator, the light won't come on."

Do you ever feel like the roles have been reversed after Thanksgiving?

Ha, the TURKEY is chasing YOU.

Now you are faced with the battle of disguising that left-over turkey (and I thought Halloween was over), left-over stuffing, left-over mashed potatoes, left-over cranberry sauce (I know what to do with that), deviled eggs, pumpkin pie, OKAY....I'll stop. I have just recently found a way to disguise pumpkin pie, but that will be a whole different blog post for you. I am anxiously excited about trying it. So excited, I'm doing cartwheels.
I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to disguising food.

I have venison haters in the house, but if I don't tell them, they don't know. Yes, sometimes I can be sneaky.

But no matter how you try and disguise the left-overs (soups, casseroles, enchiladas, etc...) for some reason you just know you ate it three days ago (very hard to fool the mind and vision).

And what do you do with that left-over stuffing?

There is no way possible to change that up.

AH, but there is: Make a meat loaf mixture, roll it out like you would a cinnamon bread. Spread the stuffing mix on top of the rolled out meat mixture, roll it up, pinch ends, and place in a loaf pan, bake. WALLAH!! Stepped-up meat loaf. And I bet you won't even be able to tell there is stuffing in there.
Okay, you will.... I know because my grandmother used to make it. And let me tell you, IT IS DELISH!!

I didn't make a turkey for Thanksgiving this year (Shame on me...).

I made a smoked ham instead. As my guests arrived (The day after Thanksgiving. Once again Mom had to compromise) this is what I heard, "Thank God you didn't make turkey. I am so tired of dry turkey." But one thing I do know, if I would have made turkey it wouldn't have been dry. I am good like that....

So, I am faced with trying to disguise smoked ham.

This is what I did to try and fool myself (and I coached myself all the way. I know I can be fooled).

I found a nice sized slice of left-over ham.

Placed it in a med/high skillet. Left it brown on both sides.

Placed a slice of Swiss cheese on top.

Turned the heat down a little, added a little water, and covered it with a lid until the cheese was melted.

I toasted some 15 grain bread.

Placed my ham and cheese on top of the bread, and added mustard.

Lookie there, you can't even tell it is ham anymore....

What a tasty disguise.

Live Large~Love Much~Laugh Often

"Every man Shall receive his own reward according to his own labor." 1 Cor. 3:8

2 comments:

  1. Interesting and yum-o! I enjoyed a turkey/stuffing quesadilla at a local restaurant today. They even gave me a tiny dish of cranberry sauce. It was great. I love being able to disguise lots of things - especially veggies. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're not far from Bryan, but do you like Mediterranean food? Frankie's in Bryan serves a Mediterranean omelette. It has all different kinds of cheeses, tomatoes, and those yummy Greek black olives. If I talk about it anymore I may have to pack up this morning and go back....Love it!!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)