Saturday, October 16, 2010

Oh, The Nuisance Of Left-Overs, But Wonderful: Rivel Soup

Don't you just hate to have left-overs at the end of a meal?

I wish I knew how to cook by servings, but this is one meal (beef roast with vegetables) that I look forward to having left-overs from.

Maybe I make too much on purpose? Ha Ha, I'll never tell.....

Doesn't that look scrumptious?

And it is all created with left-overs.

We had beef roast with vegetables this week with lots of left-overs.

There is only three people left in the house.

I remember when I used to cook for five people. It felt like I was cooking for an army. I used to have to cook two roasts just to feed everyone.

So let's get started.

You will have to follow along with me on this one again.

Have you purchased that Netbook for the kitchen yet? I'm telling you, best investment you will ever make if you search for recipes on the Internet and follow foodie blogs.

When I make my roast, this is what I do:

I place the roast in a big pan and cover with water.

I then add soup base (about 4-5 TBS) because I like my broth beefy (and I am not talking about a man here). Broth, people, broth....

I place the roast in the oven at 300 degrees F. and let it cook for about 3-4 hours. When it is nice and tender I add the vegetables: carrots, potatoes, and onions.

I then bump up the temp to 350 degrees F. and cook for 1 hour (until vegetables are fork tender).

When I save my left-overs, I pour the broth into a container of its own and place it in the frig. That way when you go to use it the next day the fat is collected at the top and can be removed easily.

And how do you make these left-overs into soup?

You add rivels, of course.

First make the rivels.

The rivels are flour, an abundant amount of salt and pepper, and eggs.

Sometimes you have to adjust ingredients. I started with 1 1/2 cups flour and two eggs. I had to add a third egg and little more four to get the consistency that I needed. You want your flour to be moist, not dry.

This is what it should look like.

After my rivel dough is made, I then start cutting up my already cooked vegetables into bite sized pieces. I also cut the left-over meat into bite size pieces too. And all the goodies that are left in the bottom, make sure you use that too.

While I'm cutting up my vegetables my broth is coming to a simmer.

The simmering broth is where you want to drop your rivels.

I adjust my broth flavor with more water and soup base to meet my liking. Remember, I like it beefy (mind out of the gutter folks).

This makes a lot, and would be a perfect Sunday all-day meal. I used 10 cups of broth for my soup and added maybe 3-4 more TBS of soup base.

I use a fork and put little bunches of dough in the simmering broth. The rivels will puff up.

I like my rivels big and puffy (come on, focus....). We are making rivels.

I drop the fork of rivel dough in the simmering broth and kind of whisk it around. The rivel will drop off of the fork because of the broth temp.

Here is my big pot of rivels.

When I get all my rivel dough dropped in the broth, I let it simmer for about 10 minutes.

See, I told you they puff up.

Some people, when they make rivels, will use their hand and squish little pieces of dough into the broth. This technique creates little tiny rivels.

If you don't know what a rivel is, it is just a big puffy noodle (Ha, now my mind is in the gutter).

I add my already cooked, chopped vegetables and let them heat up.

They are already cooked, so you don't want to cook them anymore.

My chopped up meat then goes next.

The meat is already cooked too, so just heat everything up and you are ready to eat.

Doesn't that look like a great Fall meal?

And just think, that was created with left-overs.

My bowl was a find from The Green Awning in Stryker, Ohio.

It has a pretty pink rose pattern in the bottom of the bowl, but you can't see it with my soup in it.

I wanted to show you my bowl, so when I was done with my soup I snapped a picture.

Isn't that pretty?

If you are ever in search of pretty dishes, The Green Awning is the place to go.

Whenever I go in there I am always amazed by the beauty. They have a very nice set-up and everything is attractive with showroom dinnerware settings.

They have a beautiful soup pot (4 piece set) that I would just love to have. My left-over rivel soup would have looked gorgeous in that.

If you are ever in the Stryker, Ohio area make sure you stop in. They also have very friendly service.

Good Luck~Happy Eating~Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)