Sunday, September 26, 2010

Serene Sunday: The outside was inside today

My Serene Sunday was completed inside this morning.

Yup, Oatmeal French Toast, Bacon, and a cup of Coffee.

I found my oatmeal bread at the Meijer store in Defiance. Did you notice the discount price?

($1.67, and that was one whole meal for my family. If you add in the 5 eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, milk, and bacon, that is pretty cheap eating....GOOD EATING!!)

And my "family" is down to three members now. I used to feed five....and look, I am still searching for cheap meals. I guess a larger size family can create good habits.

The bread is discounted because the expiration date is the same day.

Did you know that grocery store bakeries are not allowed to display discount items in their bakery?

Nope, they can display sale items, but not discount items.

Usually a grocery store will place a same day discounted bakery rack in the back of the store. I mostly find them in the dairy area.




I trudge to the back of every grocery store searching for the bakery discounts.


So that makes me a "grocery store trudge-r".

Oh yeah, I love discounted items, especially from the bakery. There is so much you can do with discounted same day expired bread. I try and stay away from the cup cakes and cakes, because they tend to be dry.

But bread....Oh my goodness!!

There are so many things you can do with it. For one, I made Oat Meal Bread French Toast.

Loaves of French bread can be used for garlic bread, grilled cheese (panini), French bread pizzas....the list could be endless.

Same day expired bread = stuffing, bread pudding, home-made croutons, and toppings for casseroles.


Now comes my Serene moment:

Did you notice the sunlight that splashed across my plate?

That is Sunday morning sunlight. It casts a beautiful glow on my breakfast plate, adding just the right touches to my Oatmeal French Toast and Bacon.

I had to sit there for a moment to soak it all in....




The sunlight is still there even as I finish up.


The oatmeal French toast had a nutty, oaty flavor that accommodated the cinnamon and vanilla very well. A gob of butter and lightly drizzled syrup brought everything together.

What a perfect breakfast.

To make my French toast I never use a recipe.

This is what I do (dump):

I used 5 eggs, whisked
about a tsp and a half of cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
Make sure you whisk the cinnamon and vanilla with the eggs before adding the milk.
I would say I added about a cup and a half of milk, or maybe closer to 2 cups (it is up to you).

I dredge my bread in the egg mixture (you may have to keep it stirred in between bread pieces)(the cinnamon sometimes wants to gather at the top of the liquid) and place it on a 400 degree electric griddle.

If you ever find banana bread on a discount bakery rack, Oh My Gosh, make it into French toast. It is AMAZING!!

Have a great Serene Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)