Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pork Roast


This is a shoulder pork roast, and yes, I made my own rub. For some reason while I was making this I was thinking about my grandmother, and she's allergic to pork (I don't get it). I remember standing in the kitchen doorway watching her cook. I never once saw her use a recipe. She just threw things together, stuck it in the oven and the outcome was always wonderful. My grandmother turns 90 in November, and she is medicine free and still lives alone. She is legally blind, but the independence of my grandmother keeps her going. Sometimes I think she is too stubborn. Now I know where I get it... The only problem she has had medically is a broken hip about 6 years ago. I would do anything for my grandmother. I love to cook her food and take it to her. I do believe my cooking talent comes from her.

Pork Rub

2 TBS brown sugar
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
An abundance of crushed black pepper
Mix all together and rub on roast. I let mine sit with rub on it for a few minutes to let the meat soak it all in.

I seared the roast in a dutch oven using 2 TBS olive oil. I seared it on medium/high heat for 3 minutes on each side. Notice how the brown sugar blackened?




After it was seared I placed it on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet with a little water (about 1/2 inch) in the bottom. I made a tent out of tin foil (over the roast) and placed it in a 325 degree F. oven for 3-4 hours. One thing nice about having a roast in the oven, I can bake my potatoes along with the roast. I love, love, love baked potatoes wrapped in foil and baked in the oven.
Oh, and what is that I see in the background? Oh my goodness, it's Sweet Baby Ray's. Best BBQ sauce ever. This sauce is the boss!!
Sweet Baby Ray's began back in 1985 when a local Chicago boy named Chef Larry perfected his family's recipe for a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce and entered it into the country's largest rib cook-off (Mike Royko Rib-off). Ah, and there is a reason why it's called Sweet Baby Ray's. Chef Larry named it after his little brother David, who got the Sweet Baby Ray nickname by shootin' hoops on the west side of Chicago. On the day of the rib-off, Sweet Baby Ray's beat nearly 700 entrants, hands down, coming in second place.
Sweet Baby Ray's got it's start by door to door sales, small mom-and-pop shops, and even sample grilling on the sidewalk. Sweet Baby Ray's is the bomb!!
Good Luck~Happy Eating~Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to and appreciate any comments.
Thank you for stopping by.

Labels

2013 (1) Ambrosia (1) Appetizers (23) Apples (2) artichoke (2) Arugula (1) Asparagus (1) Bacon (1) Baking (2) Balsamic Vinegar (3) Bars (18) BBQ (1) Beans (1) Beef (24) Beer (1) Beverage (8) Black Beans (1) Blended Oats (1) Blind Spot Nutbutter (1) Blueberries (1) Bread and Quick Bread (28) Breakfast (18) Buckeyes (1) Caesar Dressing (1) Cake (48) Candy (1) Candy Cane (2) Candy Corn (1) Casing Franks (1) Casserole (1) Celery (1) Cheese (1) cheese ball (1) Cheesecake (1) Cherry (1) Chicken (40) chili (1) Chocolate (2) chocolate chip cookies (2) chocolate chips (1) Christmas (5) Cinnamon (2) coconut (1) Coffee Mate (1) Cookie Butter (1) Cookie Cutters (1) Cookies (45) Cornmeal (1) crackers (1) Cranberries (1) Cranberry Sauce (1) Cream Cheese (2) crescent rolls (1) Crock Pot (5) Cucumber (1) Cut-out Cookies (1) danish (1) Dessert (4) Dry Roasted Peanuts (1) Egg White (1) Eggs (1) Fall (2) feta (1) Fish (5) Foodie Friends Friday (3) French Toast (1) French's Crispy Jalapenos (1) fruit (2) Fudge (1) Garlic (3) Garlic Bread (1) Giveaway (10) Giveaways (3) Greek (1) Green (1) guacamole (1) Holiday (32) Holiday Gifts (1) Jell-O (3) Key Lime (1) Lasagna (1) Link Party (11) linky party (1) liver (1) Low calorie (1) Magazine (1) Marshmallow Fluff (1) Martha White (1) Meat Balls (1) Mediterranean (1) menu (12) Mexican Soup (1) Muffins (23) Mushrooms (3) Nestle Toll House (1) No-Bake (1) Nut Butter (1) Oatmeal (1) Oatmeal Scotchies (1) olives (1) Overnight (1) Parmesan cheese (1) Pasta (5) Peanut Butter (2) Pear (1) Penne (1) Pepperoni (1) Pesto (2) Picnics (1) Pico De Gallo (1) Pie (1) Pie Crust (1) pie filling (1) Pies (9) Pistachios (1) Pizza (1) Points (1) Pork (21) Pork Loin (1) Pot Roast (1) Potato (2) Potluck (1) Pretzel Buns (2) Product Review (1) pumpkin (2) Recipe (62) Recipes (19) Reese's (1) Review (1) Roasted Vegetables (2) salad (2) Salads (46) Sandwiches (16) Sargento Cheese (1) Sausage (1) Side (2) side dish (1) simmer sauce (1) Simple (1) Sliders (1) Snickers (1) Soup (41) spinach (6) Sprinkles (1) squash (1) Stir Fry (1) Strawberry (1) stuffed pepper (1) Stuffing (1) Sugar Free (1) Survival (1) Sweet Baby Ray (1) Taste of Home (2) This and That (120) Tomatoes (3) Trader Joe's (1) Turkey (6) Valentine's Day (1) Vegetables (38) Web Site (1) Weight Watchers (17) White Chocolate (1) wilted (1) Wrap (1)